Russian President Vladimir Putin stands adjacent to First Executive Vice President of lipid shaper Lukoil Ravil Maganov aft decorating him with the Order of Alexander Nevsky during an awarding ceremonial astatine the Kremlin successful Moscow, Russia, November 21, 2019.
Mikhail Klimentyev | Kremlin | Sputnik | via Reuters
WASHINGTON -- The decease of Ravil Maganov, president of the Russian lipid elephantine Lukoil, astatine a infirmary successful Moscow connected Thursday appears to people the eighth clip this twelvemonth that a Russian vigor enforcement has died abruptly and nether antithetic circumstances.
Maganov died aft falling retired of the model of the capital's Central Clinical Hospital, according to the Russian state-sponsored quality outlet Interfax. The circumstances of Maganov's decease were confirmed by Reuters, citing 2 anonymous sources.
But Lukoil, the institution that Maganov helped to build, said the 67 twelvemonth aged had "passed distant pursuing a superior illness" successful a press statement. The Russian embassy successful Washington did not respond to a petition from CNBC for an authoritative statement.
The circumstances surrounding Maganov's abrupt decease person drawn planetary attention, successful part, due to the fact that 7 different apical Russian vigor executives person been victims of untimely deaths since January, according to reports by Russian and planetary quality agencies.
Below is simply a database of these cases, successful chronological order.
- In precocious January, Leonid Shulman, a apical enforcement astatine the Russian earthy state elephantine Gazprom, was recovered dormant successful the bath of a cottage successful the colony of Leninsky. The Russian media radical RBC reported his death, but did not mention a cause.
- On Feb. 25, different Gazprom executive, Alexander Tyulakov, was recovered dead successful the aforesaid colony arsenic Shulman, this clip successful a garage. According to the Russian media outlet Novaya Gazeta, investigators recovered a enactment adjacent Tyulakov's body.
- On Feb. 28, 3 days aft Tyulakov died, a Russian lipid and state billionaire surviving successful England, Mikhail Watford, was recovered hanged successful the store of his state estate. At the time, investigators reportedly said Watford's death was "unexplained," but did not look suspicious.
- On April 18, a erstwhile vice president of Gazprombank, Vladislav Avayev, was recovered dormant successful his Moscow apartment, alongside his woman and daughter, who besides died. Authorities treated the lawsuit arsenic a murder-suicide, Radio Free Europe reported astatine the time. Gazprombank is Russia's 3rd largest slope and has adjacent ties to the vigor sector.
- On April 19, a erstwhile lawman president of Novatek, Russia's largest liquefied earthy state producer, was recovered dormant successful a abrogation location successful Spain. Like Avayev successful Moscow, Sergei Protosenya was recovered with his woman and daughter, who were besides deceased. And similar Avayev, constabulary investigating the country said they believed it was a murder-suicide, a mentation that Avayev's surviving lad has publically rejected.
- In May, the assemblage of billionaire and erstwhile Lukoil enforcement Alexander Subbotin was discovered successful the basement of a state location successful the Moscow region. The country wherever Subbotin died was allegedly utilized for "Jamaican voodoo rituals," the Russian authorities media outlet TASS reported, quoting section authorities.
- In July, Yury Voronov, the CEO and laminitis of a shipping contractor that services Gazprom's Arctic projects was recovered dormant of an evident gunshot coiled successful a swimming excavation astatine his location successful Leninsky, the aforesaid elite St. Petersburg gated assemblage wherever Shulman and Tyulakov died earlier successful the year.